Business Network Illinois
Companies:32,888
Products and Services:1,016
Articles and publications:547
Tenders & Vacancies:1

Veterans of Foreign Wars
Information may not be reliable

In the late 50's, the land we now have was purchased. It had a farm house on it which remodeled for use as a post home.
Address323 Old Hickory Rd New Lenox, IL 60451-1646
Phone(815) 485-8369
Websitewww.vfwpost9545.org
The Harry E. Anderson Post 9545. Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States was established on July 19th, 1947. The Ladies Auxiliary was established on November 30th of the same year. The Post was named after Corporal Harry E Anderson, United States Marine Corps, who was the first casualty of World War II from Will County. Corporal Anderson was from the New Lenox area. There were 50 Charter Members of the VFW Post 9545 and 19 Charter Members of the Ladies Auxiliary.
The first meeting was held in Emily Hall which was located on the corner of Oak and Hickory Streets in New Lenox. For a few years, meetings were held at various members' homes and at the fire barn. A brick garage owned by C.L. Klausing located on Joliet Road and South Cedar was fixed up and used for meeting for the next few years. Later the basement of old St. Jude Church was located where the old library us to be.
In about 1956 the members built a house on Wood Street and Cooper Road. The house was sold with profits used to purchase about 12 acres of land on Vine Street now known as Veterans Park. The land was later sold.
In the late 50's, the land we now have was purchased. It had a farm house on it which remodeled for use as a post home. A hall was built next to the farm house in 1971. Our first fish fry was held on January 5, 1973 with 71 dinners sold. A bar and a kitchen were added to the hall and the farm house torn down in 1976. Seven years later in 1983 the Pavilion was built In mid 1994 a major addition to the hall was started. It included additional hall space, handicapped accessible bathrooms, and additional storage. The addition was completed in early 1995.
On September 12, 1995 our post home was completely destroyed by fire. Rebuilding plans began almost immediately and two trailers served as our post home while the new building was being constructed. On November 19, 1996 our new post home was opened with the first fish fry on December 6, 1996. The new building was formally dedicated on January 11, 1997.

Rating:

Related items:

The Mail Box Store Highland
Actual information
The Mail Box Store Highland | 12603 IL-143 Highland, IL 62249 | (618) 651-4700 | https://www. themailboxstore. net
  • 12603 IL-143 Highland, IL 62249
  • +1 (618) 651-4700
Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation
Information is out of date
Funerals, funeral services, funeral home, cremations, cremation services, cremation with memorial service, direct cremations, burials, pre-need funeral services, pre-planning funeral services
  • 702 1st Ave Sterling, IL 61081
  • +1 (815) 626-1131
Veterans Of Foreign Wars Post 2801
Information may not be reliable
Veterans of foreign wars VFW post 2801
  • 39 E St Charles Road Villa Park, IL 60181-2411
  • (630) 834-8191
Calvary Lighthouse Assembly of God Church
Information may not be reliable
If you have questions about Calvary Lighthousethat are not answered on these web pages, please use one of the links or other contact information
  • 222 E Hemstock Rd Rochelle, IL 61068-9766
  • (815) 562-7701
Gardens & Gatherings
Information may not be reliable
An extensive knowledge of floral design have enabled Gardens and Gatherings to produce the wedding that you have always dreamed of
  • 4 N 901 Old La Fox Rd Wasco, IL 60183-
  • (630) 762-9092
×